Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Being Green with plastic bags

Paper Recycling bin & kitchen trash (right) with one week of accumulation


Recycling & trash cans in front of my oven (to show you how big my cans are)

A Target bag is my trash bag!  Thank you TARGET!
When possible I use reusable bags.  However, in today's age, I still end up with a plethora of plastic bags.  I know they are bad for the environment, however, I always make sure to reuse my plastic bags. 

My number one way of reusing plastic bags is as garbage can liners.  In fact, I have not bought a garbage bag in years.  I have small trash cans in all rooms and I am able to recycle, compost, and reuse so much that we actually have very little trash.  Not only do I use plastic bags as liners, but I also use packaging.  For example, disposable diapers come in plastic wrapping that perfectly lines my upstairs bathroom trashcan.  I also buy toilet paper in 12 -24 roll packages and I reuse their packaging as liners as well.  The key is to make sure you open the packaging at the narrow end so you create a bag.

I know some people have a lot more waste and do not see a plastic bag working as their liner--but I challenge you to try it.  What's the worse that could happen?--perhaps you have to take the garbage out more than once as week!  (Hey that's probably a good thing!)  I also love using small wastebaskets.  I find it leaves so much more room and I can easily tuck the garbage in a cabinet or the bottom of the pantry.  I also do not have to worry about pets or babies getting into it. 

So what else can we do with plastic bags.  Of course they are great at toting things to and from, but they also can do the following:

Pick up animal poo--eww!
Thaw out meat (keep meat in the packaging and then place in plastic bag--it will help keep that juicy mess contained)
Donate to your local library (they use them for checked out materials on rainy days to keep them dry)
Donate to your grocery store (some recycle, some reuse)
Reuse at the grocery store in place of your reusable bag
Use as packing material when packing delicate items
Save for your garage sale (your customers will need them!)
Keep a few in the car to collect that random garbage (You can hide it under the seat or loop the handle over the headrest so it is easy to toss things when in the backseat, these also make a quick alternative barf bag)
Use them for dirty diapers (or dirty clothes bag) when traveling (cloth or disposable)
Cover your shoes in plastic bags if you are going to be in the mud and want to protect them (think gardening)
Litter box liner
Use bags to organize (separate projects such as sewing or knitting projects0
Cover your plants to protect from frost
Use as a smock for kids (cut head hole, arm holes and then slit down the back side from head hole down, the slit goes on the child's back)
Store wet paintbrushes overnight
Lunch bag
Some people make rugs or purses out of them (No KIDDING!)
Use to contain your liquids when traveling and protect from spillage (shampoo, conditioner, etc...)
Use when traveling to separate dirty clothes from clean clothes

What are your ideas for reusing plastic bags?

No comments:

Post a Comment