Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Shopping for Halloween Costumes


I have had a couple people ask me about how to save money on Halloween Costumes.  So here is what I have...

Ask friends/family if they have costumes that you can borrow--or swap with them costumes from last year (if sizes are appropriate).  That being said, I have a 12 month Lion (I think it is a lion costume) if someone would like to use it--let me know.

Garage Sale-- During the summer there are tons of garage saled costumes.  These are fun to buy just so the kids can play dress-up, but then you can also double the use as using them for Halloween.

Saver's --Go to the back racks (by the men's clothes).  I was there last week--they  had TONS of second hand costumes starting at $2.99!!!  Infant to Adult sizes.  In other words--thrift stores are great places to look.

Make your own-- This is what we attempt to do every year.  (Though honestly after seeing Saver's prices, I am SO tempted to ditch the work for the easy cheap costume.)  You will find that you have a lot of stuff around your house already to complete your outfit.  Last year Ky was Bob The Builder--which included putting him in overalls, making him a toollbelt out of a nail apron I had (I also used his play tools), and putting a fireman's hat on his head which I placed a Bob The Builder sticker over the fireman logo.  Cost for this costume $1--for the hat.

Last year Alaina was a pumpkin.  I simply put her in an orange sleeper and cut leaves out of felt which I put her pony tail through.  Cost $0.27 for the felt.

What do you do to save money on Halloween costumes?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment